Monday, September 29, 2008

Seuss in her sleep

Sometimes as parents/teachers we wonder if we are doing it right or not. What if we are totally missing something important? Or are ineffective at teaching valuable skills or life lessons?
I was getting somewhat apprehensive because my 4yo did not like to be read to. Not nursery rhymes, not library borrowings, not books on tape. She thought it was boring and usually shot off my lap like a shot after two minutes (or less) from any "fun" reading book. Now, let me say that I LOVE to read, my son loves to read, my older daughter loves to read. Both older ones enjoyed being read to when they were in the pre-reading stage. Why was DD4 not enjoying books? Then I started getting ahead of myself thinking - What if DD4 hates reading? What if she NEVER learns to read? What if..... she doesn't appreciate the etiquette of Jane Austin, or enjoy being immersed in the rhythm of the Odyssey? I know. I was putting the cart before the horse, but what if...?
Well, last week she discovered The Cat in the Hat Comes Back. She also realized that when she asks me to read to her, she gets 1-on-1 snuggle time, usually with out the baby. So, for the past week I have read The Cat in the Hat Comes Back at least twice per day along with a variety of other Dr Seuss books. She loves them. She recites them. She looks at the pictures, and rolls her eyes and laughs at their silliness. When I am busy, she asks, "Please, momma, will you read it later? Before you go to bed?" YES, YES, YES!
Where does the title of this blog come in? As I was getting ready to leave for work tonight, I went to check on her. She was talking in her sleep. "nureau... neiling/ceiling... A wocket in my pocket -now that is just silly. silly Seuss cat - in a hat." A running dialogue of her Seuss filled dreams!
Perhaps she will like Homer's Odyssey after all.

No comments: