Saturday, April 17, 2010

Kayaking and Hiking

Ooh, I'm excited...my first blog photos.

We had a fun-filled nature week. Dad took the kids kayaking and we all went hiking. I love science in the great outdoors!

Dad took our 5 year old out on a calm, local lake. There is a small island that she explored where she found muscles and shells. The fish swam right up to her and nibbled her fingers. So, cool. We don't have identifications on the things she found, but next time we'll have them bring a journal and take more pictures. I didn't get to go on this outing, but I hope to go next time.

We also went to Hanging Rock State Park. They have some really nice trails here. We went on the Indian Creek trail which has beautiful waterfalls. Of course, water flows down, so going back to the parking lot is all up-hill. The park keeps up the trails beautifully, though.

The kids were all excited because they found fresh bear scat in the woods behind the waterfalls. You know... kids + poo = good times. Baby collected pine cones and everyone else pushed the gravitational envelope. (Mom respectfully requested that no-one break anything while climbing the rocks.)

I hope to go back in June when the Rhododendrons are in bloom. They grow wild all around the falls. There are several trails we still need to explore as well. I hope to do a lot of nature outings this summer. We got out of the habit this semester and I really miss it.

No comments: